Sunday, July 29, 2007

Doing my homework...and kinda liking it?!?!?!

So I decided to take this on-line class because it has to do with discipline and controlling my classroom and with everything that went on this last year I thought that it would be a good arsenal in my defense. You know CYA (cover your ass in case you didn't' know.)

I've been registered for this class since June 11th and had completed one of the 21 lessons before tonight. You can see that I'm very interested and can't wait to do it. (Can you smell the sarcasm?)

The sad part is that the classes are actually good. They are not condescending like many that I have had before on classroom management. They are basically saying that kids are different now and are giving real ways to deal with it that put the responsibility on the children to do what they are supposed to do but in a way that guides and lets the children decide. Crazy idea!!! This is what I asked for all last year. I really feel that this would have worked on my kid who's meds were working. Maybe not all of the time but would have cut back on incidents.

And shockingly the method is not just ignore it or just call the office. It's just a four steps with simple statements that help you stay in control, give the children a choice and a real way out of trouble. How cool is that?

I still have 14 lessons to go but I have a lot of homework to do before I can start the next one. You have to write little letters and they are checked. I've done almost all of the letters for one of the classes but at the end there is this big homework assignment but it's based on how I will do things this next school year. I actually think that it will be helpful because it gives a format to write down most of the things that I've already been thinking about at random times.

A way to get ready for the school year without going to that dreaded place and complete my class at the same time. And I'm kinda liking it.

Crazy!

2 comments:

-tracie. said...

Good for you! Classroom Management was something that I felt I sort of had a handle on, but always wanted a refresher/reinforcement.

I got a part-time job at the SPCA (in addition to the full-time at our alma mater's library). My love starts her big-girl job today.

We'll be saving money to come visit you soon (you know, before #1 son graduates).

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

I am so glad you are open to new ideas. The death sentence of any teacher, or anyone for that matter, is the unwillingness to learn.

You rock.