Saturday, May 12, 2007

Family Traditions

I can remember my Grandfather doing a little hand play and rhyme when I was a child. He would start with his finger on my nose and say, "This is where the cat sits, this is where he jumps.." and it would continue from there. He would touch my forehead, my eyes, my nose, my mouth and my chin with different parts of the rhyme. At the very end of the rhyme he would tickle me.

I remember this with great fondness and have found that my children love to have me do the same thing to them. They ask me to do it over and over again. They always ask for one more time.

I researched this on the grand old Internet today and this is what I found.

It is really from a song, My hand on my head. It is believed to be an old German folksong. The song itself is very familiar although I never heard it in the same context as the finger play that my Grandfather did.

Here is the final part of the song.

My hand on my foot,
What have I here?
This is my foot stomper,
My Mama dear
Foot stomper, knee bender,
Lap sitter, bread basket,
Air blower, chin chopper,
Food grinder, soup strainer,
Smell sniffer, eye blinker,
Sweat boxer, top-notcher,
Dickey, dickey doo
That's what I learned in my school.
Boom! Boom!(slap thighs)
those feeling It is neat to find the context for the finger play that I remember. I now have the tune of this song in my head but it will never be the exact same as what my Grandfather did. I will relive those same feeling everytime I share it with my children. Sharing it with another generation of family.

2 comments:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Ah...that is one of the secrets of life. Sharing what you love to those that you love.

burnurcomputer said...

I love tha one! It was always so cool. I was talking about Papa to Mom today. We were eating breakfst at Mals and I had cream dried beef and Mom had hunky eggs. When I commented that Papa ate this and he had me try it one time and I really liked it. It is a food memory of Papa. Then she said no he liked hunky eggs. Then I remeinded her of the times that Mommom and Papa would take us to the Quentin Hause-yes that is spelled correctly- after we had slept over and we would have breakfast and then we could get some candy form the wall. Do you remember the dark wood area tat the front of the store? We normally got candy buttons because we could share them. And remember the hot soft pretzels that we would go with and get on Sat. mornings?I love Pa dutch food!!!! Its like Papa K always having cough drops for me and opera fudge in the fridge. I love pa duch food!!! Tastes so good, but is sooo bad for you! I'm going to bed now...... Nighty night, sleep tight! Dont let the bed bugs bite. Sweet dreams, I love you and I'll see you in the morning! Goodnight birds, goodnight bees , goodnight flowers and goodnight trees!