Sunday, May 06, 2007

102.6 degrees Fahrenheit

#1 Son came into my room last night. He was burning to the touch. 102.6 using the ear thermometer, panting for air and not sweating. I was scared.

#1 had really bad asthma when he was a baby. He would get behind on his breathing when he was sick in any way. He was sick all of the time. I would call his pediatrician and say that I was #1's mom and they would ask what time I was coming in. They would always sneak him in. He used a nebulizer for the first two/three years of him life.

#1 also has a very high gag reflex. He is very sensitive to textures. Even the thought of some things will make him throw up. It's usually something that is very frustrating. You never know when he is going to decide that he doesn't like something. He could eat the same thing for five days in a row but on the sixth day he decides that he doesn't like it and he will throw up just looking at it.

Last night I took him in the kitchen and showed him the fever reducer that we have. He insisted that he didn't like it. He told me that it made him sick. I showed him the bottle. It's a liquid suspension that actually tastes really good. The twinnies ask for it all of the time and get upset when you don't give it to them because are in fact, not sick. I made him smell the bottle. He threw up everywhere.

I mean everywhere. One of those vomits that you can follow the path of. He had drops of it for 20 feet. I really do not think that it was caused by him having a cold but from him gagging because he was determined not to like it.

I cleaned him up, stuck him in my bed with a bucket and took off for the pharmacy.

I was really worried that we would end up having to go to the hospital because this kid wouldn't be able to keep any medicine down. I called my sister at 3:00 in the morning and she told me about the wonderful world of fever reducer suppositories. Yeah, not only is my kid sick. Now I get so shove something up his butt!!!

I was pleased to find out that the local 24 hour pharmacy was not only open 24 hours but had a pharmacist as well. I talked to him for a little while and he showed me where the medicine that goes in the special way was. I also bought a more traditional, in the mouth type of medicine along with Gatorade and lollipops.

Luckily the moth meds worked and we were both spared having to use the other ones. His fever has come down a little but it is still too high for my liking. Even with meds it is in the 101's. I am using both acetaminophen and ibephroen at different times to try to fight it. I'm still worried.

I had called him doctor at 3:00 in the morning as well. I called the 24 hour nurse hot line and the doctor actually called back within three minutes. If #1 isn't doing better in the morning, I'll be calling the office to make an appointment.

For all of that, the kids have been in a pretty good mood all day. I put the 13 inch TV in the boys room and they are LOVING it. They only have it in there because #1 is sick and has to stay in bed but it's been great for me. I've managed to really clean the apartment. It's by no means done which is very sad but I'm probably the closest that I've been since I had that week off of work. I took tomorrow off to stay home and I'll finish cleaning then.

Fun.

2 comments:

burnurcomputer said...

I'm sorry that he still isn't feeling well. And I'm sorry that I wasn't very clear in speech at 3:00. I was half asleep and really liked the fact that you were telling me that I HAD to wake up and pay attention. It worked very well. :) If you need to do that again in the future-as in call me- please tell me that again. It really did get me awake very fast. And the sound of your rapid shifting in the background. I still don't understand how to drive that kind of car!!!!!! I know that he was enjoying the T.V! He was trying to talk to me and watch Nick at the same time. Nick was winning! When I asked to be handed back to you he told me he could do both at the same time.... about 2 minutes later he responded to my voice and laughter. I'm glad his Doc. is super cool. Number 2 here still is puffy in the eye. Benedryl is working fairly well, but making him ill tempered. And The birds kept we from going back to sleep for an hour. I had Ryan shut the window because they were chirping at 3:00. And again at 4:59 when Mom called me about number 2. I now hate birds. Chirping at 3:00, and 4:59. I hate it mostly after it took me an hour to fall back asleep from the first bird chirping incident.Any way I hope that Number 1 feels better tommorow. And my number 2. And I loved it when I called Mom and she had little girl in her other ear saying "Hurry up Jamie!!!!" That was super silly and made me very happy :) I love all the short cakes!

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Call me and let me know how #1 son is. I am worried.