Thursday, April 05, 2007

Love Thursday

I've been trying really hard to make the kids something healthy for dinner. I promised Mr. Husband that I would and it's really what is best for the kids. I swear that I'm trying.

I will probably find a few meals that are simple to prepare, healthy and the kids will eat. Then I will make these same meals over and over again until the kids will not eat them any more.

Today we had breakfast for dinner. I made each one of the kids a pancake and then we had scrambled eggs with it. The twins ate fruit with it and #1 son gaged when I offer him a bananas. It could be healthier but at least they are eating it.

I had a really rough day at school today. It was one of those days that would not end. Like when you are being observed by yout team leader and then the reading coach and the district reading lady come in and you suddenly have three teachers watching you and they are all going to sit you down and tell you the things that you did wrong as soon as they can. Like when one of the pet mice dies and then the other one eats it's head and you have to figure out a way to get rid of it's little body without the kids seeing and then explain what happens without any details and then it slips out that one was missing a head and answer questions for 30 minutes about it. Like when one of your students punches a lunch lady and she says bad words and walks off the job and now there is NO one to watch the 120 kids that are in the room. That kind of day. (I did not make that stuff up. It just kept getting worse.)

I was so glad to be home and glad that it was going to be an easy dinner. I talked to my mom on the phone while I made dinner and the kids played. When everything was ready, the kids and I turned on some Sponge Bob music and talked and ate our pancakes and eggs and relaxed.

#1 son finished all of his food and said that he was full. He asked to be excused (We actually make them do that.) and as he was walking away from the table he turned around and told me that I was a really great chef. I could start a restaurant.

I love the little compliments that you get from little kids. It was pancakes from a mix where you only add water and scrambled eggs. This wasn't fancy in any way. I did a good job of it, read as "didn't burn it" but that doesn't make me a great chef.

I do know that in his mind this was great food because it was what he wanted to eat and it tasted good to him. Although I'm not going to be hired by a top restaurant for my cooking abilities (maybe as a short order, which I did do for years), I do know that my son was happy and felt loved. It made my day. Now I feel happy and loved and it didn't add any additional calories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude what a suck-ass day. My kids are fighting and Mr. Husbands Grandma is being moved to nursing home tommorow. Happy Birthday number one son! My day was frustrating as well. I'll try to think of some simple/tasty/healthy food to send to my other shortcakes. And your food does rock. So there! Love you Manyella!!!!!