Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Oh what a day

I went to the DMV today.

I hadn't changed my licence until just today. I didn't want to admit that I actually live here and not in Seattle anymore. I know that I've always called in Old City before but part of the reason is because I just get so sad when I think of Seattle.

Seattle felt like home the minute that I arrived. That's saying a lot when you are showing up to a city that you've never been to before, it's 2 am, raining, you have severe morning sickness and were throwing up all over the planes and you have to take a taxi to your apartment, which of course you have no idea where it is and hope against hope that the taxi driver can get you there without adding $50 to the charge just for fun.

I don't know if any other city will ever feel like home the way that Seattle did. I definitely do not feel it here. I don't know that I ever will. I just know that I can't spend more time here pretending that I don't actually live here and have to accept on another level that I now live in the South. I get sick just typing it but it's true.

The family car still has Washington plates on it and they just expired. I need to have my new drivers licence to transfer the plates to this state. Otherwise I probably would have put it off longer. Mr. Husband wants to change the plates Friday after work (WORK!!!) and that meant that I needed to have my licence before than.

I'll spare you all of the excitement of the DMV but it will be hard because there were definitely lots of interesting characters there.

The DMV wasn't the worst part of the day...I know. It's crazy to think that it could be worse but it's true.

I finally sat down to watch my tape of 24 and...and...I didn't tape the show. I had set the VCR for the correct time and channel but I never adjusted the time on the TV to accommodate the time change. I tape the 20 second preview of next week and the credits then 60 minutes or so of local news. I almost cried.

I'm off to bed now. I don't want the day to get worse so I'm just going to sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After the fiasco of 24, sleep is a great idea. Tomorrow will be better, it has to, because it's LOVE THURSDAY!!!

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Oh, sweetie. Seattle is good. There are many great cities in our vast coutntry. Where you are is not where you will end up. There is more for you.

I love you.

From Seattle,
Madmae Dragonfly

Anonymous said...

I hate the DMV! Always asking nosey questions like:"whats your weight?", "how tall are you?", "lets take the field vision test", "what political party and do you want to register to vote?", and " Well sweet heart, when the Commonwealth of Pennsylvanis says your lisenced is revoked, you can't renew it.". Where do they get those people? What ? Do they compile all that data for their own personal use? I am just kidding and being silly. Its the people that come in that are wierd. Its like they play "People are Strange" in the back ground---okay so maybe the music plays in your head, but its so there!!! And I'm very sorry about the 24 tape Manyella!

~T said...

I just bumped into your blog, and I know this is a little tardy, but you can watch 24 online.