Tuesday, March 13, 2007

#1 son can write

I was amazed at how well #1 son can write when he takes his time. I was helping him with his homework and he was doing a great job of working slow and actually paying attention to what we were doing.

Today he had to come up with three words that start with the letter Q. He needed to find them in a magazine and cut and glue them or draw them on the paper. We always cheat and use Google images because come one, it's just so much easier. He tells me a word we Google it and he picks which one he wants. So far we have been very lucky and no naked people have shown up to try and grace the cover of his homework. I was a little nervous about what we would find when he picked the word queen but luckily Google's mind isn't as dirty as mine.

He picked quake, quilt and queen. We found three pictures, printed them and took them back to the table. I cut them out because I couldn't figure out where his kids scissors were. He glued them on and it took all of my control not to help him because he is NOT OCD like his mother and he could have the pictures going in different directions and not all evenly lined up at the bottom of the page.

He then needed to write a word telling what the picture was. He did a great job! He needs to make sure that he is using lowercase letters. His teacher says that he is "forgetting" to do this in class unless she tells him to. He did forget often but I was there to be mean and erase the letters that he capitalized.

Next he had to write a sentence for each of the words. He wrote, "I have a quilt." and "I hear a duck quake." and my favorite one, "My mom is a queen."

He was very excited about his homework being done but he also loved the attention and positive reinforcement.

I did feel bad because I just wanted it all to be done by the end. It's just so much like school!!!

2 comments:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

I keep thinking that my son is the same age and same place as #1 and he NEVER has homework. Supposidly this school is run by a bunch of PhD wheeling intellectuals that know what they are doing in education. I am starting to wonder. My real question may be, does homework really matter at this age??

As always, I wonder.

I love you.

Anonymous said...

My number one and number two also have that problem. Number 2 is very much like me that he does random capitols, just because he thinks that they look betterthat way. In fact, I have missed a few of them and when he gets it returned and the word is circled, I'm confused at first until I really look at it. Oh, I missed a random capitol! Darn it! Anyway I think that number one son is very nice and very smart!