Laughter from the other room
I taught my students how to write Haikus this week. It was a wonderful practice to watch them experiment with words. They had excellent ideas and worked hard to fit their thoughts into the proper number of syllables.
Haikus are very difficult for me because I have many problems with syllables. I do not naturally hear them. I know the definition of a syllable and work hard to hear them but it's just not there for me. I have to work hard and I make many mistakes. I've been known to walk out of my classroom in the middle of a lesson to ask my teaching partner how many syllables are in a word. The kids enjoyed watching me struggle.
I have found that I am now writing them in my head as I go along the day. Here are a few that I composed while sitting here. Don't make fun if I messed up the syllables.
Haikus are very difficult for me because I have many problems with syllables. I do not naturally hear them. I know the definition of a syllable and work hard to hear them but it's just not there for me. I have to work hard and I make many mistakes. I've been known to walk out of my classroom in the middle of a lesson to ask my teaching partner how many syllables are in a word. The kids enjoyed watching me struggle.
I have found that I am now writing them in my head as I go along the day. Here are a few that I composed while sitting here. Don't make fun if I messed up the syllables.
My children are in
dreamland. Soon I will join them.
The sweetest of dreams.
Depression is mine
I wallow in sorrow and
look for a way out.
Words swirling in my mind
Slowly I am becoming
An artist of words.
Do you hear that sound?
Laughter from the other room.
Music for my soul.
Leave me a comment
in the form of a Haiku.
Thank you for reading.
8 comments:
What are the syllable rules for cachoo?
I remember you having trouble in that reading class we had together. I don't remember what you had trouble with, but it was some sound difference. I haven't written a poem in sooooo verrrryyyy long. I have been very depressed lately, maybe I should write something instead of dreaming of joining the soldier boys on the top of the hill...miss you and my dreamkeeper...
Haiku is three lines long. The first line has 5 syllables, second has 7 syllables and the last has 5 again. I tell my kids at school 5-7-5 and they remember that way.
Dreamer, write me an email. I respond to those. :)
Comatose sleeping
Merrily chirping birdies
No sense of presence
Today is the day,
the sun hide behind the clouds
snow began to fall.
How's that for a Haiku
I hate a Haiku
it makes the least sense to me
its dumb in form too
This is like school torture to me. Haiku's, and humming are not natural for us. We were NOT made to do this! See Manyella you are not alone.
No wonder you are confused about syllables. Your name is 2 syllables if pronounced correctly and 3 if not. Now that I have the 5-7-5 measure and have thought about it a little, here goes my final answer for today.
Danielle
Beautiful baby
Amazing daughter, great friend
Wonderful mother.
Jean
Brother sits on couch
I raise my Ukulele
It drops, El Ka-Bong
Post a Comment