Friday, February 23, 2007

Bad dreams

Little Girl came out of her bedroom crying. She had been asleep for several hours and this was out of character for her. She doesn't try to escape her from her bedroom like some children do. She came stumbling out to the living room and walked up to the couch. She crawled up on Daddy and then came to me for big hugs. She had had a bad dream.

It's so hard when something like that happens. You want to tell them that it will be alright that it's just a dream and that there is nothing to worry about but I have no idea what she dreamed about. I still experience real fear from dreams even if I know that they is no way they are going to come true. I don't want to minimize her fears but do want her to know that they are in fact just her dream.

After my hug she went back to her Daddy and snuggled him for about 20 minutes. She insisted on going potty at that point and is now back in her bed. She has one arm wrapped around her giant Winnie the Pooh and the other has her monkey in a choke hold.

I heard her whisper, "I love you, Daddy." while I was walking out of her room. (Mr. Husband was in front of me. She wasn't calling me Daddy.)

I hope that she has sweet dreams now. Thinking of the snuggles from Daddy and not whatever it was that woke her the first time.

3 comments:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Hooray for families!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that my princess had a bad dream! I remember when the boys wee having bad dreams how they would climb in and snuggle. They would be there in the morning harppy as larks because they didn't remember having a bad dream. My #1 had a bad dream this week and said in the morning "don't yell at me mommy you'll just spank me again!". I was telling him to get a shower and there was no yelling involved. We had to wake up Mr. Husband because he didn't believe me that I hadn't spanked him. Of course Mr. Husband told him that I didn't spank him, it was part of a dream. No you know that I'm a bear when I'm woken up, but I have never spanked them. Anyway they are WAY to old to be spanked. Tell my princess and my 2 princes that we love them and the other princes love them too.

-tracie. said...

I never thought about bad dreams as a parent. Last night I dreamt about a big boat and a $600 bar tab at the 501 blue bar. My love likes to talk to me when I'm sleeping and talking. I drooled a whole lot last night too,but dreamt I was crying. Nothing in shades of grey or green for a long time...