Friday, January 12, 2007

A regular Friday night

Traffic was bad on the way home. Really bad. At one point I was going 0 miles per hour. The stick shift is not fun in those conditions. I did talk to my mom most of the time and that was great.

I saw one truck that really scared me. The highway that I go home one has three lanes traveling north. I was in the left most lane. A truck in the middle lane decided that it was going to merge into the left lane but "forgot" to use his signal or look to see if anyone might just be in the space beside him. Of course at this time we were going faster than 0. We may have been up to 10mph at that point. The truck started toward the car in the lane on the left. They just kept coming. The little car that was about to get run over honked it's horn and swerved off of the road. The truck got back in it's lane and I thought the whole thing was over.

On busy highways, it happens that people aren't paying attention the proper way and they swerve into the next lane without really looking. Usually these people really are sorry and feel like a jerk and slow down a little and then merge when the opportunity presents itself. I wanted to add distance between their cars and mine because it was scary but also as a courtesy to all drivers. I do this not because I'm nice but because it's what I would want someone to do for me.

A few seconds later the truck did the same swerve thing again. The poor little car tried to stand it's ground again this time and the truck backed off before the little car was off the road. At this point I was saying bad words and explaining the whole thing to my mom while I was trying to add even more distance between them and me.

I really couldn't believe that they did it a second time. One time a mistake but the second time either drunk or looking for a standoff. I should have been so shocked.

The truck did it one more time. This time the little car wised up and braked hard and let the truck in front. I'm guessing not because they had a change of heart but because they didn't want to die. (Have I ever mentioned that it's legal to shoot someone in this state if you feel threatened?)

I stayed way, way back. I went along my trip, talking and trying to stop the car from stalling. I did notice that the same truck was that far in front of me for the rest of my trip.

Getting home was all the sweeter after a car ride like that. Little people ran up to me and professed their love and how much I was missed in my long absence. Hot pizza was being placed on the table. I even had a glass of chocolate milk to wash it down.

That's the part of Friday that I love.

Three day weekends are fun too.

*****************************************************
#1 son decided that he was going to have a party for his teacher. I bought cake mix, icing, pink sprinkles and heart cupcake papers. Mr. Husband made the cupcakes last night and I made a little note that said Happy We love Mrs. Teacher day.

I did this for two reasons. The first is because I really do like his teacher. #1 loves her and he was learned so much. I feel that she is really supportive. The other reason is to support his caring ideas. He wanted to have a party because he loved his teacher. That's a good enough reason for me.

I was naughty and bought noise makers for the party. I figured that they would be fun and I can't help torturing other people!

1 comment:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

noise makers and box cake for "the other woman" (being #1 son's teacher) is nothing compared to the night I just exposed your brother-in-law to. F***!