Saturday, June 24, 2006

Saying goodbye, Part two...or so long suckers!!!

I finished cleaning up my classroom. I took almost every single thing that was mine with me. I don't even want some of the stuff but I just couldn't leave it there. ** I turned in my keys and three copies of my security badge. I'm done.

I managed to escape without hugging anyone today and only had three people visit my room that don't like me. It was a good day.

I had to say that the best part makes me feel a little evil. Just a little. The principal wanted me to pack up all of the first grade curriculum. That really isn't my job. Not just because I'm lazy and I have resigned and screw you but because it's really not my job. Michelle was nice and did most of it. She liked the part where she got to dump stuff in a box. It was great to see her satisified smile. We packed it really well. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

The first grade curriculum was on a nice pile on the carpet of the room. The school secretary wanted to know when it could all be picked up by the school district. I told her that I didn't know. She wanted to know when I would be done packing it. I told her that it's mostly packed up and on the floor. (She was in the office, using the intercom so she couldn't see.) She wanted to know when it would be labeled. I told her that I didn't know. She kept asking questions of this nature. I finally couldn't help it any longer. I just flat out said, "I'm not going to be labeling the boxes. I'm not going to be packing the boxes. It's not my job." I had to actually say that before she understood. I wasn't rude about it but I really wasn't going to do it. She said, "Oh. Thanks."

About two minutes later the principal walks in. She wants to know where the stuff is. I really wanted to say, "open your damn eyes. It's the shit in the middle of the room," but I was good and just pointed to the exteremly oblivous pile. You know the only pile in the room. The one with boxes that said stuff like, first grade reading. She wanted to know when I was going to label the boxes.

Now the principal and the secretary share a wall in the office. The intercom system is on that wall and you can hear it from inside the principals office even if the principal's door is closed. She was in the office all morning. I had seen her there several times this morning. She knew what I had said but OK let's play the game again.

I tell her, really politely, that I'm not going to label the boxes. She says, "oh." She asks if I had any paper. There happened to be some still in the printer so I showed her that. She asked for some tape. I didn't have any tape. She looked confused about this but didn't say anything. She wanted a pen. I gave her a marker. Then she wanted to know what she was supposed to write on the paper. How the hell am I supposed to know. I was good. I just shrugged. She gave up and walked out.

Two minutes later the custodian comes in. She sees the boxes. She must be able to read boxes or something because she found them right away. She asks if I have paper. I point to the printer again. She asks if I have a pen. I give her a different marker. She wants to know if I have any tape. No I don't. Then she wanted to know what she was supposed to write on the labels. I still didn't know. At this point I had to leave. I drove the car load of stuff home. I just couldn't go through this routine again.

I came back less than two hours later. The stuff was out of my room. It was in the main hallway of the school. Everything was boxed up and labeled and they were even taped on. Amazing!!!

I felt like I had won a little battle. I was victorous. I've had some rough times the last month. Stuff that I was totally suprised by and felt were very unfair. It felt some good not to label the boxes. I know that it doesn't seem like a big deal but it was to me.

I feel like I did a good job of standing up for myself. Not just with the boxes but with the letter to Human Resources about my evaluation. I was honest and truthful. I tried to leave on a positive note and be the bigger, better person and I feel like I have done that. I can leave on a positive note because I know that I did what was right and did it without burning any bridges.

It felt so good to drive away that last time.

**Michelle-I left my ivy plant. You can have it if you want. It's a really nice plant and easy to take care of. I water it once a week and there is a gnome that lives in it. I also left you the swiffer. It's at your door. Have fun with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interestedhttp://google-machine.info/130.html or http://google-machine.info/437.html and http://google-index.info/2879.html