Thursday, June 22, 2006

Saying goodbye, part one

Today was the last day of school. I had crying first graders to hug, crying parents to hug, not so crying principal to hug in front of entire school (she must have forgotten that she doesn't like me) and several teachers who's names I never took the time to learn to say goodbye to. I also get to pack some more. My new hobby as it would seem to be.

The end of school last year was a very sad day for me. They were closing our school. It is now an empty building. I had taught at that school for four years and the staff and students knew eachother well. We were a community. I miss my students and the teachers.

I was thinking of the things that I would miss from this school. The list is much shorter. There are two teachers that I will miss but really that's not that many and I will stay in touch with them. I will miss most of the children but they will mostly forget me because they are in fact small children. I will miss the big ass closet in my classroom. I've never ever in my whole life had a closet that large. I will really miss that closet. It's a really great closet. Really it is.

I think I'm more sad about the fact that there's not much that I will be sad about. I've spent a year of my life here and it seems like there should be more here that I will be missing. I was really torn up when my last school was closed. I cried at different times and it is still hard for me to go there. I get upset thinking about it.

Maybe the fact is that there wasn't as much here for me. It's hard to miss what you don't have.

Well enough about that for now. I gotta keep packing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its good to look back and see how it's moving us foward. Retrospect gives us the ability to say "that sucked ass" and move on to the next place you gow ith out leaving to much, if any, of your soul behind. Who cares if all the kids don't remember your name? They will remember that in First grade they had a real nice teacher who liked to laugh, who cared about them, and got pissed about how long someones shoe was left on top of the building. Screw all the other peoplw who didn't get taht it's more then a job,it's team work. So screw the reat of them, they don't know what they lost. I will see you soon and I know that I can't wait.Neither can your boyfriend Superman