I've heard that no good deed goes unpunished but come on!!! LICE!!!
I had a horrible day at work. I know that no one is shocked by this. I've said this many, many, many times before. I'll spare the details from the first 40 minutes of the day that left me sobbing in a small work room.
After I left the work room to go to my classroom, I was met by a parent. Now this parent is one of my favorites. I have her number for work, home and cell on my cell phone. We get along well enough but I have those numbers handy because I've had to call so often this year.
This is a single mother of four trying really hard to do the best for her kids. I don't think that she's perfect but I don't' think that anyone is perfect. I think that she is a mom that is trying her best to take care of her family.
Three of her four children go to my school. Two of them have been kicked off of the bus for the next week. She works long hours and would not be able to leave work early to take them home. She needs help and has asked me to drive them home.
This is actually fine. This happens to be the boy that I drove home not long ago because another boy was going to beat him up on the bus. His house is not far from the school and adds less than a mile to my commute home. The only problem is that I have to take the car seats out of the car to get them home and that is a pain but doable.
I talk to the mom for a little while and I reassure her that I can get the kids home. The only problem would be if I have a meeting after school and then they would be home a little late.
Fast forward to five minutes before classes are dismissed for the day. I get a call from the office. The secretary wants to know if I'm in fact driving these kids home. I said yes. I thinks it's better not to lie about it. I wasn't going to bring it to any ones attention but I'm not going to lie. The secretary wanted to know if I had gotten it approved. I told her no, I'm doing a favor for a friend. I figure that parts not entirely true but whatever. The secretary than says, whatever, I just need you to come up and get the kids because all three are in the office because they have lice.
CRAP!!!
I did not want to deal with that today!
Lice is an occupational hazard when working with children. It goes around. A teacher is always aware of it and takes precautions without being psycho about it. Now driving three kids home with lice is not on my normal list of things to do.
I happened to have three towels in the car already. They are old beach towels that I keep in the car just in case my kids shoes are muddy. But the towels were clean so I threw them over the head rests and tried to cover as much of the seat as I could with it. On the way home I told them that I knew about the lice and wondered if they had any medicine at home for it. We then went to the pharmacy to get meds.
I had to ask the lady at the checkout counter if there was enough meds for all three kids and this other lady was in line and she took a GIANT step away from us. It was kind funny but I really wanted to do the same thing.
I got them home and quickly drove back to the pharmacy where I bought special lice spray from upholstery. I threw away the towels and used the whole can on the car.
I'm sure that I went a little overboard on the cleaning of the car but I'd rather use the whole can than miss one and have my family infested.
I don't mind helping out. I just hope that it gets easier from here.



2 comments:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! Ew! EW! Ew!!!! I am itching all over!!!
I have been VERY lucky in the fact that neither myself or my kids have ever had lice. I'm waiting for it though. I just KNOW I can't make it through three kids and it not happen.
I voted for you on Blogger's Choice btw. ;)
Post a Comment