Thursday, April 16, 2009

Surgery Tomorrow

I have surgery tomorrow at 11:00.

I am only going to have the top two teeth removed. They have broken through the gums and shouldn't be to hard to remove. The oral surgeon is optimistic that this is where the pain is coming from.

The bottom two are sideways, or at least sideways enough that they will not come in the right way. Not all impacted teeth will cause problems. If I'm lucky they will stay where they are and never cause problems.

There is a possibility that the bottom tooth is causing pain and will need to be removed. That is a problem.

See the tooth is so far into the jaw that there is a real possibility that I would have permanent nerve damage if it was removed. I would also have a broken jaw from when they would remove it.

The dentist is hopeful that it is only the top tooth and would like to remove that is then see what happens. If I am still in pain, I will know. If the pain is gone, great.

I am glad that he is playing this a little conservative. I'd rather wait a little and not risk nerve damage and a broken jaw if I can. If it comes to that, well, it comes to that.

I would take nerve damage over a life time of pain. I have nerve damage in my thumb and palm. It's not normal but it's something that you get used too even though it's still strange. I imagine it would be the same way in the jaw. Strange but something you get used to.

I'm still very nervous about the entire procedure. So nervous that I almost threw up several times at the consultation. I knew that they were not going to do anything today but talk about tomorrow but I was still scared.

I fluctuate between fear and terror.

I will be sedated and have pain medicine for when I wake up. Mr. Husband can't go back with me but he will be in the waiting room the entire time.

I'm still very afraid.

No comments: