First responders
I was almost to work today when I spotted a car on it's side just off of the roadway. The police and other emergency workers had not arrived yet. Two other cars had pulled over before I arrived. I quickly pulled onto the shoulder.
I walked up to the car and there was a woman trapped inside. The car was laying on the drivers side and the passenger side was in the air. The door was not damaged badly. It was locked and it took several minutes for the woman to unlock the door. The electrical system was no longer working but she had problems climbing to the top to manually unlock the door.
The two cars that had stopped before me both contained large men and they were able to get the door open with some work. They pulled the woman out and she fell into my arms. We told the woman to sit down but she would not. She was allergic to the grass that she was standing on. Her shoes were still inside the car. Luckily my car is still stocked with emergency beach going supplies. A large beach towel makes for good protection from the grass. She stood on the towel and cried in my arms for several minutes.
Another car pulled up, a nurse on his way to work. The woman seemed OK with a quick check just symptoms of shock which is normal for the circumstances. I'm glad that nothing was physically wrong with the woman but very grateful that the nurse stopped. The nurse left just moments later.
A few minutes later police cars screamed down the highway in the opposite direction. They needed to do a U-turn to get to her but help was on it's way. The two men that had helped open the door and pull her out of her car seemed to disappear just before the police arrived. They both had to go to work.
I also had to go. Four police officers were there, the road runner (roadside assistance) had just pulled up and a fire truck and ambulance could be seen flying down the highway. I said goodbye to the woman. She gave me a big hug and thanked me. I talked to one of the officers on the way to my car.
No, I hadn't seen the accident.
No, I was not the first one on the scene.
No, I do not know the names of the men that helped.
Yes, the information on my license is correct.
No, you can't have my cell number. It's not working but here is my work number.
I got into my car and drove to work. I pulled up to school at 7:59. Just in time for my 8:00 meeting. I got a chair and sat down, pretending to pay attention to my work.
I never learned her name but I'm sure that I never will forget her.
3 comments:
I am proud that I have daughters that will extend a helping hand to others in times of need. You also give great hugs. However, as the butt head that I am. The burning question after reading the account. Did you get your beach towel back?!
We just had an incident like that too. My love stopped to help since she's a first responder in medical emergencies. The only thing my mother kept saying was "she doesn't even have gloves on". She was only talking to the woman to help her stay calm and awake.
Sorry I missed you the other day. I don't have your cell or I would have called that.
Been dreaming about my Dreamkeeper.
Danielle says:
Sorry to report that the beach towel is gone. I'm figuring forever. It was one of my good ones. The one that looked like a beach. I still have two other like it.
Post a Comment