Monday, January 21, 2008

Watch out for Spiderkids

Mr. Husband is still sick. So sick that he stayed home from work again. For the fourth day. He went to the doctor and was told that he has a bronchial infection or something. He will only be contagious for 24 more hours. Hopefully none of us will get it back in the next 24 hours because I'm soooooo tired of people here being sick.

I took the kids to Universal Studios today. By myself. and didn't die!!! The kids were really very well behaved. We survived the long drive without incident.

Not long ago, there was a very large accident on the road that we had to drive. 78 cars were involved. Many people were injured. Four of them died. I know that this has been on my mind when I drive on this road for the last few weeks but I drive on a portion of the road far from where the accident was. Today we drove right past it.

The accident happened because there was fog mixed with smoke. They were doing a "controlled" burn that morning. A controlled burn that became uncontrolled in severe drought conditions. Visibility was rendered to zero and cars piled into each other. People were trapped in there cars. Forced to hear the screams and moans of others until the highway was closed and emergency workers could arrive.

It was the kind of incident that lays heavy on the mind. One that I will not soon forget but the same kind that you try not to dwell on. These things do happen and as terrible as they are, life goes on.

I knew that I would be driving on this portion of the road and I knew that I was uncomfortable but I also knew that it was the only way to get there. I was doing OK until I saw the caution signs. They were doing another "controlled" burn today. It took more to willpower to not just turn the car around.

We did not see any smoke and they wasn't even that much traffic. It was actually a very easy drive when you take away the part about the kids begging me to turn off NPR but stressful for me.

The remainder of the day went very well. The weather was wonderful and I might have actually gotten a little to much sun. The kids were very well behaved and we did accomplish our #1 goal.


Sorry for the blurry photo. I forgot the camera and had to use the camera on my phone but I'm sure you can make out the kids and who they are standing with. This is who Middle Child has been talking about for WEEKS.

It was worth the long drive, stressful ride and challenge of having three kids in a busy public place. There smiles made it all worth it.

2 comments:

BetteJo said...

I heard about that accident, although never heard the details. How horrible, I can see why it would be on your mind if you needed to drive that way. On the other hand - it's a great thing that you drove on - when you wanted to turn around. Sometimes even the simplest things require strength!

burnurcomputer said...

Spiderman, Spiderman, does what ever a spider can...... I like Spiderman! yeah kiddos! I'm glad that you got to go have fun with my short and sweet ones :)