Friday, October 05, 2007

Dr. Who

If you know me in real life, you know that I'm a major Dr. Who fan. I don't deny this. I will revel you with details of the episodes that I adore. I will debate the character of each of the Doctors. I LOVE that show.

The season final for Season 3 (That's new Season 3 for old time fans.) was shown today on the SciFi network. I'm so freak'n sad. Not only do I not have new Doctors to look forward to each week but the current staff of writers are amazing! Simply spellbinding.

Dr. Who has long had a history of corny story lines with even cornier monsters but the episodes from the last half of this season are outstanding. I say that not just as a Dr. Who fan but as a general fan of my friend the TV.

They have expanded the emotional side of the Doctor and his experiences, made the stories truly suspenseful but they have managed to stay true to the Doctor and his past as well. The last few episodes have linked so many characters and plots together but they have done it in a way that brings greater understanding for a fan without taking away from the original story line. I actually want to go back and watch several old episodes again because of this new information. I almost never experience that feeling with other shows. Very rarely with even the Doctor.

I know that Science Fiction is not for everyone but I wish more people would watch this show because they are so well written and acted. They are just wonderful.

I've never sympathized or cared for the Doctor more.

And that's saying a lot from a mega-dork like myself.

Personal update with a Dr. Who connection. Mr. Husband has long talked about his wish to have a Dr. Who scarf ala Tom Baker (the 4th Doctor). I've also long said that I would make him one. I finally took the first steps needed and found a pattern, bought yarn and started knitting. This will be a long project. The original scarf eventually stretched out to over 22 feet long. The pattern that I am using would make a scarf that is at least 15 feet long. I will be making some changes to the pattern for practical reason. (Mr. Husband is much shorter than Tom Baker.) But even if I only make it 8 to 10 feet long, it will still take me some time.

I'm very excited about this project and really feel that it's getting back to the year of me. I love to make things. I love to create. I've gotten my crocheting out and started a project. It's a blanket that I started some years ago and I'm not sure that I will complete it but I'm just so happy to work on it.

This is just another step to getting back to what I enjoy doing. Another step back to me. Or at least a step in the direction that I've been heading this year.

I've also hit my official 30 pound lose at my Doctor's office. At home I've reached my 1/2 way point. 34 pounds lost and 34 to go! I'm so excited. I'm making progress. Lot's of progress.

2 comments:

Cat said...

CONGRATS on the weight loss, that's fabulous. Be proud of yourself.

And Dr Who, I heart him. Big pink puffy heart. However, I thought the finale was a little too cheesy. I liked last week's better. The floating in the cloud, really? But the sadness! Oh the sadness. That he would prefer to be with The Master for eternity than alone was powerful. I'm sad that Martha Jones won't be his companion next season. I didn't watch until this year, so I only sort of know about Rose. I did some poking around last night - the internets say that Sally Sparrow is his new companion, or maybe the run away bride. I too am totally bummed.

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Holy F*#@ing Cr#*! That is a lot of weight woman. Will I recognize you whenever it is we get to see each other? Way to go.