Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I was just going to write about my day

I was thinking today about the fact that I don't get to write in my blog as often as I'd like. I was thinking about the fact that although I love having people in my family read my blog, sometimes it makes it really hard because I don't write stuff because I don't want them to read it. And it's really silly because I just tell them on the phone anyway but I still don't write it all here. I was thinking about just writing how I had a pretty good day at school and how things are so different than last year and how I actually made the principal laugh today.

I was going to do all of those things but then something happened. I was eating dinner with the kids and I asked #1 Son about what he did at school today and he told me about reading and math and then he told me that it was a special day and that his teachers told him a little bit about it.

I knew that me meant September 11th. I knew it but didn't want to ask. It's still hard for me to even talk about it without getting tears in my eyes. I didn't want to think about the way that I had to explain it to the kids at school. Kids that were only weeks to a year old when it happened. To relive the feelings of frustration I had talking to the kids today. Wanting them to understand the emotions that many of us lived that day but not wanting to scare them. Not wanting to make to big of a deal out of it but feeling like I must.

So we talked about it. We talked and I told him what that day was like for me. I told him how I was feeling and I tried to explain with just enough details to help him understand but not enough to make him afraid. He started to cry and I held him and we talked.

Today was different for me. Today I tried to remember the days just after. The days when people went out of their way to be nice. When people gave so much blood that the Red Cross couldn't take any more. The money that was raised. The flags that magically appeared at every house that you could see. I tried to remember those things.

Those were the things that I wanted to stress to him. I wanted him to understand that this is a big deal for a lot of us. It has changed the history of our country but that this country is made up of good people. I want him to know that.

He told me that he wanted to write about it in his blog. You will have to go see what he said.

I wasn't going to write about September 11th today but I had to. Although are lives go on, they are different. For those of us that were alive on that day, we are forever changed. We will remember. It would be impossible for us to forget but hopefully we will take the time to also remember all of the great things that did happen in this country just after that day.

4 comments:

The archer said...

I do remember the feeling of unity that we had as a nation. I also remember that my sister had an anniversary that day and guess what? She had one today also, so HAPPY 25th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY! sister.

The archer said...

Oh, bye the way double D. I want to be supportive so the package is in the mail =). This message is brought to you by the letter D.

And if Heather Mommy is checking in, your package got shipped out today. So now you won't have to fly by the seat of your pants or trip over your hem.

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

hehehehehehehehehe!

The seat of my pants keeps getting bigger...and bigger...

however, I digress. Here in NYC things were tense and strange. It was the only day in weeks where it rained. No, it poured. T and I went to the bus station that day and there was a marked increase in police and other security enforcement. One can never really forget...

Anonymous said...

Nicely written. I'm not looking forward to explaining it to my kids (ages 3 and 1/2).

Sounds like you handled it very well!