Saturday, July 07, 2007

They are a handful

When the twins were very small, we were stopped in the store. People wanted to look at the little babies and ask questions. Almost every person would say, "You sure have your hands full."

This bothered me every time I would hear it. Now I know that most people just want to say something and don't understand that I have just heard the same phrase from the last ten people who have stopped me. I know that most people are NOT trying to annoy me or make me so angry that I could scream. I know this.

I'm not stopped by strangers as often as I used to be but it still happens at least once every time out, especially if I am by myself. It still bothers me when people say it.

I do not often feel like it's that big of a deal to have three kids. Most of the time the kids are pretty well behaved, often better than others their age but they are still children and are not perfect.

I took the kids to the movie theater today by myself. I'm glad that it was dark because I definitely had my hands full. Little Girl wanted to sit on the floor which honestly would bother me too much if she just sat there and didn't inch away every few seconds. Middle Child wanted to swing on the handrail during the movie and #1 kept standing up. We had sat at the very last row at the top. We were against the wall. We were not in anybodies way but it was still stressing me out. Two of the three decided that they wanted to go home before the show had even started. It all worked out OK in the end and if you ask them, they had a great time.

I just really had my hands full.

1 comment:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

What I wonder about is if people are sympathetic because they are not sure if you are a single mom or not. That is, when you are out on your own. Having kids in general creates a busy life. Having three , one , or ten, it becomes a system. It isn't that big of a deal. If you decide to have kids, this is what you buy into. You are a great mom. You have the best kids ever, cause they are mine.