Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Roit at Walmart

My mom and I went to Walmart last night at 10:00 pm. Now there are is a reason that it was Walmart. No other store was open at that time that carried the things that we needed.

We walked around the store and looked at things and complained about how high the "clearance" prices were on things. Please, clearance is not 20% off. Yes, I know that clearance means that they will no longer being selling that object and they are trying to get rid of it at a lower price but come on!

Finally we were ready to check out. One of the many things that I hate about Walmart is the fact that it takes forever to check out. It should not be this way when they are 20 plus checkout lanes but there were only three open last night and the lines were very, very long. Apparently there are other people in this city that have to go shopping at 10:00 at night.

I went to the customer service desk, which of course had a sign saying that it was closed for the night, but there was a woman there and I asked if she could open more checkout lanes. She said that she would take care of it in just a minute.

I do admit that I did not think that she was going to do a single thing about it. I figured that since it was that late at night and the customer service desk was actually closed, that she would just ignore what was said and go back to whatever it was that she was doing. (For the record she was doing something with a box. I just don't know what.)

I was wrong.

I know it's shocked me too but it was one of those times when it is great to be wrong. The woman came over and opened a lane herself. Now of course, she said that she would help the next person in line and we were at the back of one of the lines. Opps!

I knew what was going on when she started to walk over. I told mom to follow me and brazenly walked up to the checkout lane as if I had all the right in the world to be the next person even if all of those other people had waited in line longer than we had.

We uploaded the cart and did not look back at the other people. You could feel the desperation in the air. A few people came over to ask if the lane was open. The woman did not say yes but by the time we left there was a line of people behind us.

We booked it out of there. Southerners do not like when things like that happen. They will wait patiently in line and actually send the next person in line. Now I usually will do this but when the line is fifty feet long, all beats are off. I'm not a southerner.

5 comments:

-tracie. said...

Check out this book I saw today: Dexter Bexley and the Big Blue Beastie by Joel Stewart.

burnurcomputer said...

You asked for the line to be open, so by my accounts you were allowed to go next. You were also in line when you left it so you didn't line jump. You are fine. And YES that is the opinion of a Northerner. I can't wait for you to be above the "line" again. Remember- in the south they say what they want and bless the persons soul- rudeness with a blessing. How quaint. In the north we say what we think right away and don't give a damn about blessing you. So whats more rude? I think a fake blessing insults all persons involved- and god. But thats me and my Northern sensibilites.

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

I really don't like Walmart, but that doesn't mean that I don't like every employee. In fact, it is the employees that are getting the big screw. So kudos to the woman that opened her lane at 10:00pm. Even better, maybe those Southerners will learn a bit about being proactive and getting stuff done.

MrsEvilGenius said...

Wow, Burn, you've met every single Southerner on the planet and so can make sweeping generalizations from up on high? My, you DO get about.

True, we tend to be polite people. *le sigh* We wait out turn (In D's case she left her line before the lady opened her lane so she was totally in the clear, BTW), we say please, we stop to help Northern tourists whose cars have broken down despite them usually driving off without saying thank you.

We are inclined to think about people other than ourselves. (even us *gasp* Pagans.)

What a burden.

(Danielle, I JUST was in the Sprawl Mart looking at the clearance and thinking the same thing! 20%?! WTF?)

-tracie. said...

Hey, did you hear there is going to be a Harry Potter theme park? I'm such a sucker, I can't wait for it to open!!! My love got wisdom teeth taken out today.