Saturday, March 24, 2007

Of which I do not laugh

I have shared a few stories of my baffonary and how I laugh at myself on a regular basis. I really don't know how I would get through the day without laughter. It brings much joy to my life. Although there are a few things that I take very seriously.

One thing that I can not laugh about is my ezcema. There are times when I do not have a problem with it and other times where I do not have skin because of it. Right now I have skin but some of it is so badly cracked that I am in constant pain. I have a section of eczema on my right hand just at my knuckles where my fingers start. You never think about how much you use your hands until you are reminded of them constantly. This pain reminds me how precious my hands are.

The dry skin has split so badly that when I make a fist the cut streches open to 1/4 of an inch long. Doesn't sound that big but imagine having an open sore on your body that large.

I have delt with this problem before but I never really remember how bad it is until I am in the middle of it.

I do try to take care of it. I do not wash my hands as often as most people would or really as often as I would like to. I never let my hand touch any chemical harsher than shampoo and I use a special soap when I do wash my hands. I have a pretty powerful steriod that I use on my skin when it starts to flare up but it really doesn't do much when it's really bad.

So many of us take our health for granted. Only worrying about it when something is wrong and abusing our bodies when we feel OK. I am at a bad point with my body right now. I have to start taking better care of myself.

I have to.



(This picture does not even do it justice. Each one of those dark lines is a cut that cracks and bleeds when I move my hand. It's painfull but it's also disgusting to look at.)

1 comment:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

It doesn't look disgusting, but it does make me cry. I know what it means for you to be there. I am so sorry. I love you.

H