Saturday, February 17, 2007

What I wrote while I was in a training at work today

Bowlegged homeless man wobbling on his decrepit bike. Unclean hair falling in strings past his food caked, gray beard. Back loaded down with all of his worldly possessions. Eyes suddenly darting back and forth like a trapped animal. Cars whizzing by just inches from his mud coated tires.

Crossing the road has never been so difficult.

I coast my car to a stop. Making sure that I am a respectful distance back. He eases his bike across the road. I glide forward in his wake. My glance following his direction. He must cross one more lane of traffic before he is free from the threat of the screaming metal machines. Traffic no longer binds me but I linger and watch him as he waits. Not a single car stops to let him cross. Three, four, five. I count them as they fly past. Not a single one hesitating.

Do they even see him?

I have waited here for too long and the a newly formed snake of cars behind me is now impatient. I pull away going toward my day but my thoughts remain with the man and his bike.

2 comments:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Thank you for that eloquently written thought. I often take note of events like that but less than I should reflect on its implications.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Beauty is as beauty does. You see what others choose NOT to see. I'm glad that new city is much warmer then old city because he would just become another stastic on top of what ever stastics he already falls into. You heart is warm and you look much deeper into the realm. But becareful Alice "I see the red door and I want to paint it black, no colors anymore(or in my life) I want them to turn Black" because Wonderland can eat you up and spit you out. Proactive not destructive. Much love Manyella.