Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My job

I know that I've written about this before but I want to quit my job.

Today I was waiting for my class to leave art class. Half of the kids were outside with me and the other half were inside with the art teacher still. On of the kids inside stuck out there head and said that there was a fight in the room and that I needed to come.

The art teacher is pregnant and there was no way that she was going to be able to handle this situation in a safe manner unless she just let them go at each other. I stepped in, detangled the two and restrained the male student for a minute. I let go and he went into a corner and started kicking things but was no longer a real threat to anyone. The art teacher said that she was OK now and would write the the fight up. (The paper work that we need to do after something like this.)

I walked outside to take my class back to our room and the principal was standing outside. She said something about being concerned with the class being unattended, I answered that I was more worried about the fight in the other room and went back to talking to my class.

I'm sure that I pissed off the principal. I hate that she doesn't talk to me about things. I don't need to know her secrets but I should be able to tell if she's pissed at me or not. She always has this poker face and it's no help.

I wanted to quit. I am so tired of all of this shit. It's not about teaching children. It's about jumping through the proper hoops to do what she says. I think that she's probably a very nice lady and all but I'm tired of all of this shit. I know that it doesn't all come from her. She's trying to do a job but it's the whole system here that makes it impossible to just teach children.

I would have quit today if I had anything else that I could do.

1 comment:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

1. We need to talk. I get home from work after you go to bed, but I will be able to talk on Friday.

2. Look for another job. Look into private schools. Look into services. Nonprofit organizations like Head Start...something other than this bs!

3. Every time you look at ms. principal imagine how much she hates her job. When people are unhappy they tend to control other people as if they are the cause of their inexplicable depression.

4. Know that this is not forever. There is no way I could have ever stayed a teacher at the crik. No way. What you are dealing with is much worse which is just horrific.

5. I love you.

6. I love your family.

7. My son loves you and your family.