Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Running Errands

I got to leave work early today. Well, by early I mean only 1 1/2 hours after they were finished paying me. This gave me time to make it to the bank that bought out one of my old banks before they closed so that I could pay them a LOT of money, go to the pet store so I could buy special fish food for the times that we will be gone, go to the MY bank because I never have cash on me and I have to chip in for a group gift to my boss (not complaining about that, it's easier this way.), stop by the Walmart parking lot and be so excited that the Salvation Army has their truck parked there so I can finally drop off the box of kids clothing that has been in the back of my car for almost three weeks and is blocking my view when I try to merge into traffic, go to the craft store and pick up the paint that I bought yesterday but didn't take home with me because I was too distracted to pay attention and then finally go home. There's nothing like leaving work early to run around and be crazy.

I know that lots of people have to run errands like this all of the time. I'm usually lucky enough not to have to do this very often. My schedule usually does not change very much at all and I can easily plan ahead far enough to do errands on the weekend when I have more time. This week just isn't working out that way.

This is the second day in a row where I was away from home for just over 12 hours. That wouldn't seem like as big a deal if I were something like a doctor or lawyer but usually you don't think of a third grade teacher when you think of those kind of hours.

Tomorrows not looking any better. I have class, two hours or tutoring after class, a 1/2 hour break and then I'm teaching an hour long class to parents. The class was my idea and it's really just to help show parents what math is like for their kids and then give them some ways to help their kids at home. It is kinda ironic that only parents that have signed up from my class are of students in the gifted program.

I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Some sad news and some happy news. First the sad. The new friend that we went and hung out with this weekend. She and her husband have surrendered their foster son to that other family. They have been told from the beginning that they probably would not win and they are trying to think about what would be best for the boy. It's better for him to be with one family than to be involved in a struggle over custody and then be moved to another family anyway.

Now to the happy news. One of my bestest friends had her baby on Saturday. This is her first child and I'm so very very happy for her. She and her Husband and just the nicest, coolest people and it's wonderful that they now have a new little boy that they can teach to grow up to be nice and cool just like them. I'm so sad that I moved before he was born. This friend has been like an Aunt to #1 son. She met him when he was only a few weeks old and she is one of those incredibly cool people who would come over to my apartment and talk with me and read books to my son and play with him. I love her and I'm so very very happy for her.

2 comments:

Erin~Leigh said...

that's some crazy days......

how sad for that couple with the boy......I hope something works out in their favor!

Congrats on your friends new baby boy!

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Yeah! There are some good things in life. :) There is a reason for everything and our perspectives do not always allow us to see this.