Things are afoot at the Circle K
I got to work this morning only to find a dead puppy waiting for me. That isn't some kinda hippie metaphor. There really was a dead puppy. I'm guessing that it had been hit by a car and was hit just feet from where I park my car. It was in plain sight of where the school buses drop off the kids and where the car riders are dropped off.
It's always disturbing for me to see a pet that has been killed. Someone, somewhere is sad that there pet is no longer alive. It was triple disturbing for me to see this in front of a school where children would soon be flocking too.
The whole experience got ten times more disturbing when I found out that the school secretary knew about it and had done nothing about it. She didn't call animal control or even the custodian. She had done nothing at all.
The animal was taken from the spot before the majority of the children arrived and most people never knew that it had ever been there. I didn't ask what happened to it. I'm kinda to scared to find out.
We had the Great American Teach-In today. This is what everyone else would call career day. We actually had quite a few people come and talk about their jobs. I had a paralegal, a metal worker, a horticulturist, a clown and a minister come to my room and talk to my class.
Now I believer in the separation of church and state. I believe in this very, very strongly. It didn't bother me that a minister was at the school because it's a job. I figured that she would stress that she had to go to college to do her job and talk about some of the duties. And she did start out that way.
It went down hill toward the end of the presentation. She started talking about ways that the children could spread God's message while they were at school. Small bells going off in my head. I was really hoping that this would strictly be respect, responsibility and other values that are really universal for all people. I thought that my head would explode when she started singing that, "Yes, Jesus loves me. The Bible tells me so." I recorded her when she taught the children the hand movements to the song and I thought about contacting the ACLU when she had them all stand up and sing with her.
She seemed almost offended when I didn't want to take Jesus coloring sheets to give to the kids.
It was definitely a day of first for me. My head is still reeling from it.
3 comments:
that is so sad about the puppy and that nobody did anything! I just find it so hard to believe and especially where it was!
I have to agree about the minister as well, have faith in what you have faith in butdon't make others follow that don't want to or don't understand!
If you would have left the puppy there the minister could have talked about how the puppy went to heaven. What a day...
Jamie loves me would have been a better song! I belive in the Flying Spaghetti Monster! All hail marinara! All hail Alfredo!
Post a Comment