Monday, September 18, 2006

scary beginning to the day

I was getting my shirt out of the dryer this morning when I smelled something unusual. Now with three kids, unusual can mean lots of different things. I checked the bathroom. Nothing unusual there. I sniffed at the door to the boys room and noticed that something wasn't right. It smelled strongly of urine.

I couldn't figure out why the room would smell like urine especially for how strong the smell was. Maybe #1 son took off his pull up and peed all over the room. It didn't make sense but the smell didn't either.

I opened the door and could tell right away that something was wrong. It now smelled like something burning.

As I walked in I noticed that there was a light on at the floor between the boys' beds. There shouldn't be a light. The boys had been playing with the light before bed. They had it turned on, knocked it over and Winnie the Pooh was on top of it. Whinnie was actually glowing from the inside when I first saw him.

I turned off the lamp, grabbed middle child, who had woken up when I walked into the room and told Mr. Husband that I needed help. Mr. Husband removed the things and under the lights in the kitchen we could see what had happened.














Winnie was missing an arm. It had burned off and was now attached to the head of the light fixture. A shirt that belonged to #1 son had a hole in it and was attached to the light, I presume from Winnie's melted arm.






Winnie had a large hole in the middle of himself and we were lucky that I checked when we did. He was almost burnt through.











The rug that this was all on was starting to burn and had marked the carpet under the rug. Altogether not that much damage all together but this did give me a very large scare. I never thought that the lamp could do that. It doesn't have that high a wattage. It's a small lamp. Here is a picture of the light with Pooh stuck to it.


Well the boys are not allowed to have a lamp now. It might get dark in there at sundown but I'll be able to sleep.

No comments: