Thursday, October 30, 2008

I voted...Now tell me who won?

Mr. Husband and I went to vote today. It took just over an hour to wait in line and vote. I really wanted to wait until election day but was afraid of the lines. Early voting stations here are regularly reporting lines of an hour and longer. I'm glad that so many people are voting.

It really sucks that I have to wait so long to find out after I voted. I've been counting down the days for so long. Many people in line today said the same thing, "I just want it over." It has been a looooong election. No matter who you want to win.

#1 Child was in school when we voted today. This is the first election in a very long time that he did not go with us to vote. I though about pulling him out of school for it but decided not too. He knew that we went. The important thing I want him to learn is that he needs to vote. He doesn't need to actually come with me each time that I vote to learn that. We talk about it often and knows my political views better than most people.

It is hard to explain why you think and feel a certain way sometimes. I am a very liberal minded person. I am very honest about this. I have extremely strong feelings about this. I've also sat and thought about where those feelings come from and why I feel certain ways about certain positions. I do try to have a rational reason for my beliefs even if the answer to the problem is drastically different that one might expect.

I have recently been very frustrated with some people's answers about why they are voting for a certain person or on a certain issue. I've been told, "What's not to like?" Well if I don't feel the same way as you and I'm asking if you can explain it to me, the answer of what's not to like isn't very helpful because I don't like it. If I did, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I want people to have a good rational behind there thinking. Even if it's not the same way that I would think or the same answer to the problem. I want the thought behind it.

Either way, it's almost over. I just hope that we won't have another 8 weeks of legal battles to figure the whole thing out.

4 comments:

-tracie. said...

I feel very passionately about voting. When I look at the state or local people or issues, I suddenly feel very incompetent. I have no idea who or what to vote for. I often skip those because I feel it's better to not vote than to vote uneducated. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Whats not to like??


Depends on your view. I like most of the things about my canidate that you don't like and vice versa. I cut it down to this: FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCES...

I hate that people feel that they need me to explain myself. Its not up for discussion. Why do other people (not family or close friends) ask you this?!?!? Is it any of their business, for petes sake? Why should we waste our time and energy on making other people feel validated by sharing what we like.

The archer said...

As of 11/4 @ 23:00
Barack Obama
Silly girl.

-tracie. said...

Please tell #1 that I finally figured out what Daleks are! I was listening to an audio book The Curse of the Spellmans and one of the characters watches all of the Dr. Who episodes. She mentions Daleks and my ears perked up.

Happy Turkey day to all!