Religion and politics and such
Mr. Husband came home from work upset today. This is very unusual, unless it involves traffic. Something at work had him in knots. They have an electronic message board and someone had posted something that involved both religion and politics. It was along the line of evolution and state science standards.
I understand his reaction. Religion and Politics are both very private issues add people's ignorance or just plain ignoring message board policies and you have trouble.
This subject really hit home with me today. I did not have school today and it was raining so today was spent inside. I am an active member on several message boards but today just seemed the day of the trouble maker. Topics today ranged from illegal immigrants stealing your social security number to special ed students being pulled out of "regular" schools since "they can't learn anyway."
I know that I do not agree with most people. I'm usually more surprised when someone does but it doesn't mean that people need to be rude. I try not to go out of my way trying to shove my thoughts down other people's throats. I appreciate when that is reciprocated.
I have a few new friends here in New City and so far we are on opposite ends of every political view. We still manage to get along and enjoy each other's company because we can understand that they other person may not feel the same way that we do but that they are also human and deserve some sort of respect.
I think my biggest beef with the whole issue is not that it is out there but the fact that people feel they need to share it where it's not appropriate. On a parenting message board, I don't need to know your thoughts on the war. It's not the right place. Now if the question is about how to talk to your kids about the war, that's one thing. The fact that you agree with it or not is another matter.
Religion and Politics are private. I don't mind sharing my thoughts on them. I just want it done in a proper way at a proper time.
But I'm sure I'm asking too much.



5 comments:
I agree.. very well said... PS - I'm going to be about an hour away from you this week.. I'll call you when I'm there, maybe we can get together.. love ya!
Totally not related to your post. Do you remember how you used to grow some herbs? (chives I remember) I think I'm going to start that now. Container gardent them. Do you still have herbs? Any insight as to what I should start with?
Ms. Izzi - OMG where are you going to be? How long will you be in town? Need a place to stay? I will be angry if you don't give me a call. I'd love to get together.
Tracie - I love container gardens. We have tried a few since we moved here but with very little success. I think it's the lack of light in our kitchen mixed with the temperature. How good are you at taking care of plants? If you are good, I would go to the store and buy a couple that have already been started and take care of them for awhile. If that works out, then I'd start growing your own. Do you have a garden at your house? We've done tomato plants in large pots before with great success. Again, not here but in Seattle. We had this really huge one that was outside of our porch. I loved that thing.
I picture a Little Shop of Horrors tomoato plant at your front door in Seattle. =) That's a good idea to try some already grown ones to see how soon I kill them - I give them a week. Maybe I should start a pool about it here at work - that could pay for new plants if I win. Going to Al's on Saturday. I'll have at least one 501 for you and I'll have the wrigglies (thankfully, I won't have sought any tory hours). Miss ya!
I don't know where people's boundaries have gone. It's not just the Internet either. Respect for our fellow man seems to have left us.
Post a Comment