Monday, February 19, 2007

Life in a messed up neighborhood

I had a pretty good day with my students. We did some work together in reading and math. It seemed that we had no other time left when you add in lunch, physical education, music and me giving lectures on shutting-up.

I'm trying to pretend that I'm happy while I'm in my classroom. I tried saying this, "Now Student X, (said in a syrupy voice that annoys all adults) where should you be right now? Yes, you are right. You should be in your chair. Good job remembering. Now show me how to do it. Excellent." Instead of screaming what I wanted to say. Which would sound something like this, "Student X!!! I can't believe that you are out of your flippin' chair again. This is the fifth time in the last ten minutes. What is sooooo important that you had to get out of the damn chair this time?? What? No answer. I'm not shocked. You always were slow on the uptake."

The pretending seems to have worked a little. I also told the kids about the new procedure for tracking their behavior. I'm going to use the colored card system. You educators know it well but for you noneducation type people, students are given a green, yellow and red card. They start on green and when an infraction occurs they are required to remove a card until the end of the day. I am also going to be adding a black card which means principals office. I will give bonus cards to any student that is in uniform. That way they could have a warning before they go to yellow. I personally hate this system because it means that I have to remember to use it but they kids need something different to spice things up. We start this tomorrow.

All of this was spiced up with a few interesting facts. (And read that word interesting as disturbing and you'll be about ten miles closer to the reality.) Three things happened in the last two days that have really worried me.

1. A fifth grade student from my school was stabbed multiple times while in his home. He is expected to survive but there are not many details being released because he is a minor. I heard this from the kids and didn't believe them until I goggled it and found the article on the internet.

2. A student in the third grade beside mine is alleging that a student in my classroom molested him yesterday. They are cousins and share the same bedroom. The student that is making these allegations is a mostly reliable and happy-go-lucky child with no known past of telling lies. The child that is being accused has a major attitude problem and does whatever they want with almost no recourse. This in itself is disturbing but the guidance counselor was notified of this and is doing very little. She has informed the student that they will receive a football if they tell the truth. I'll be talking to the school social worker tomorrow and then the principal if I have too.

3. One of the teachers at my school is missing. She has not reported for work in four days. She has not called in to say that she would not be there. She has two small children that also go to the school and there has been no word about them either. There is no answer when their home is called. They are considered MIA as of right now. This was not good. I'm worried that something may have happened to them because it's very strange to just not call and say, I'm never coming in again. I know that happens in some jobs, NOT teaching. You at least get a phone call. The fact that there has been no word at all is not good. I'm hoping that someone will at least drive by their house and make sure that they are OK.

As messed up on the many levels as those three thing are, I'm feeling pretty good. I had fun with my family tonight, I only have one more day of tutoring and I had a good nights sleep. It's amazing what a good night's sleep with do for you.

******************************************************************

Job Watch 2007
~~~Update~~~~

Mr. Husband has received an e-mail saying that the woman hasn't heard anything yet. I'm trying to think of this as a good thing because credit checks only take a few minutes and background checks can take a little longer and I'm not worried about the one that would take longer. Also the company MAY have had the day off because of president's day.

This is a job with a financial institution. I'm sorry that I can't give details because frankly, I can't remember many. I'll share more if things work out. I do know that the hours would be from 11am to 8pm which would mean that I'm in charge of dinner and getting everyone ready for bed which really sucks if you like tasty food.

I'll keep you posted on Job Watch 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah your Mr. Husband sure can cook! I'm glad that all seems well on that frount. And Now.......
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOUR SCHOOL!!?!? DIDN"T THEY EVER SEE ANY SPECIALS BY JOHN WALSH!??? Hello! You just don't stop comming to work! Is she running from someone trying to ill her? And a 5 grade student getting stabbed at home? WWHAT THE FUCK?!?! And try reporting the guidance idiot to what ever regulating board that exists in that flacid and inhumane statea! FUCK!

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Sometimes I would go home and just cry after a days worth of teaching. Teaching is already difficult and trying, but the stories that you become personally connected to stay with you, even if you are able to leave the other aspects of work at home. However, by dwelling on the sad and terrifying only produces more of the same. Try to think of the opposite (ie happy home lifes for the kids and teachers) and what can be done to promote that in such a disaster of a time for the school.

The job will come.