Saturday, December 02, 2006

90 degrees of holiday cheer

#1 Son and I were making chocolate Santa lollipops. It was really easy and we were excited about our adventure. We melted the chocolate, poured it into the Santa head molds and #1 was in charge of putting the sticks in. We put the molds in the freezer and then we went for a walk.

#1 Son rode his Batman bike and I pushed the twinnies in the jogging stroller. We desperately needed air in the tires of both the bike and the stroller so we decided to walk to the closest gas station and fill the tires. I have almost no money right now so I "borrowed" 50 cents from Mr. Husbands car.

We had a good time walking and riding to the gas station. We saw the pizza delivery man, Christmas trees and a blow up Santa Claus. Things were going well.

We got the gas station, found the air pump and got there all without getting run over by a car. But once we got there I immediately realized that we did not have enough money. We needed a quarter.

I couldn't decide if we should just turn around and go home or just ask someone for a quarter. I really did not want to go all the way home, get more money and walk back. I figured what would really happen is we would get home, put everything away and I would quickly forget that we needed air in the tires until the next time we went out. Then I would get angry at myself just like I did the last three times I took the stroller out. I also didn't want to ask for money.

I have issues about money. I don't have ANY money. The few dollars that are in my bank account are owed to several banks. I will owe people money for several, several years and I usually feel like I will never be able to pay off all of the debt. No matter how hard or long I work. Because of this feeling I don't want to ask for money. Even for a quarter from a stranger. Especially for something that I don't deem absolutely necessary. Like air in the tires.

I fought with myself with this for sometime. I truly believe that most people are good. They would help someone when they can and if some woman has three kids in a parking lot and is asking for a quarter, most people would give her the quarter. And really, it's only a quarter.

I decided to swallow my pride and ask for help.

I then had to decide who to ask. I've found that most working but still poor people are more likely to help someone in this same manner because they can imagine having to ask for a quarter. The people with the big SUV's that are renting movies and holding lattes may help but would be more suspicious. I decided to ask the guys that were working at the gas station.

The gas station has a center there where they do minor repairs and oil changes. They didn't have any cars that they were working on and the four men that worked there were talking and fooling around behind the station.

I walked up and asked for a quarter and all four guys were willing to give us one. They asked why we needed it and I told them about the air pump. They said that they would gladly give us the quarter but they had an air compressor if we didn't mind, they would fill up the tires for free.

It was great. The one guy filled up the first tire of the stroller and as he added the air, Middle Child said a delighted, "ooh." They filled the tires and talked to the kids and we paid them for their kindness in high fives and thank yous.

We left and on the way home we started talking. #1 Son said that he wanted to give the guys the lollipops that we just made. That was fine with me but there was no way that I was going to walk back there again today. It was 90 degrees outside. I agreed as long as we could take the car.

We went home, put the bike and helmet away, put the stroller away and put the lollipops in their wrappers. I tied pretty ribbon around them, packed the kids in the car and we were on our way.

The guys were working on a car when we got there but they were happy to see us. #1 Son gave a lollipop to each of them. One of the men was working underneath the car and we waited for him to finish. While we waited one of the men came out with a box of toy cars. The station has a special right now where if you get your car serviced, you receive a holiday set of three toy cars. He gave it to #1 but only if he promised to share it with his brother and sister. Done deal.

Also while we waited there was the lady and man that were having their car serviced. They saw what we had done and the guys had told them about helping us earlier. The lady brought her pack of cars over and give it to the kids too. Now we had two packs and we were just trying to thank these guys for helping us!

We shared the last lollipop and were on our way. On the short ride home, #1 Son decided that we should only open one pack of cars. He says that we should give the other pack to some kid that doesn't have any toys. I think that's a fine idea.

It's the kindness of strangers that inspires me. I love that my children are learning these lessons in person. That they want to share with others and that they receive confirmation of these beliefs from perfect strangers. Because I believe that these people were just that, perfect, strangers.

Those guys didn't need to give us a quarter but they were willing too. They definitely didn't need to take time to fill the tires but they did. They didn't need to talk and joke with the kids. They could have quickly and politely filled the tires and we would have been on our way. We didn't need to take the lollipops back as a thank you. They seemed satisfied with the high fives. They didn't need to give us those cars. That other lady did not need to share her cars but she did. #1 didn't need to share the second box with someone else. He could have been like any other kid and kept them to play with.

These are lessons that I strive to teach my children. These simple but powerful lessons that you can not script or structure. They just fall into place and I try to embrace them.

I'm glad that I asked for that quarter.

3 comments:

Erin~Leigh said...

oh that made me cry. It is so wonderful to see the simple things our children do that make others so happy and warm hearts. That really turned out to be a wonderful day!
(as I wipe tears from my eyes)

Erin

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

If you expect to find love and joy in people, you will find it frequently. You yourself are just as giving and wonderful. Most people would not be in a situation in their life to ask in the manner you did, nor have the immense respect that you have for the precipitation of all of the events. You are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love you Manyella