Thursday, November 09, 2006

What kind of day are you going to have today?

#1 son sometimes has behavior problems at school. It seems to come and go really. He will be doing really well for a few weeks in a row and then suddenly have a really bad week.

His teacher has a great system for letting us know everyday. She has a calendar that is stapled to the inside of his take home folder. She leaves a message on in everyday. If he had a good day she simply puts a stamp. If he has a bad day she indicates what happened and how bad the behavior was.

Earlier in the year, we were almost desperate to find something to help motivate him. Mr. Husband started giving him a baseball card for everyday that he got his stamp. He is came up with a little cheer to send him off with before school. Mr. Husband asks, "What kind of day are you doing to have today?" #1 son will say, "a great day." They do this three times with the answer of a great day getting louder each time. This seemed to really help.

Even the twins will try to answer the question at this point. I will find that I am asking myself this question when things aren't working out well.

Today I had a great day. I kept asking myself the question all day and it came true.

I was at a training today. I got to sleep an extra hour. It was closer to home and it was across the street from my favorite museum so I went there for the hour that they gave us for lunch. It really was great.

1 comment:

-tracie. said...

You have a museum to go to. How nice. I have corn fields. Trade you for a week. And you get to go to trainings and get days off. I'm applying to schools right now. Keep your fingers crossed.