Back to work
I stopped by school today. I just needed to see what my classroom looked like. I needed to know how much work I am in for. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I have so much work to do. I also learned that we are having an open house in two weeks. That means that my classroom has to be ready by that night. Parents and children will come to my room seeking reassurance that they will have a good year. That they will be safe and have fun. That I am a professional. I have to show this through my room and my actions. I have a lot of work to do.
I've been arranging the furniture in my classroom for the last few months. I moved everything around today and it just doesn't fit the way that I want it to. I might be able to make it work but the new classrooms that they are building are so much smaller and when you set up the student desk, any extra room is gone.
I visited another teacher across the hall. She is teaching second grade but the setup for first to second isn't that different. She has her room arranged in a way that I would never have thought. It's nice but I don't think that I would be comfortable in it. I need open spaces. Areas that can be used for several different activities. I need about 300 square feet more than I have now.
I do not officially start until Friday. I will need to go in a few times next week to get ready. At least the kids can go with me for now. Today they enjoyed watching movies and playing with pipe cleaners and fake money. The novelty of the situation show not wear off for a little while.
As much as I'm hating going back to work, and believe me my chest was tight just driving there today, I am looking forward to having more space in the apartment. There are several storage containers, a rocking chair, two benches and several boxes that belong there and not here. So I might need more space at work but at least by going back, I'll free some space at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment