Tuesday, May 22, 2007

one step forward, two steps back

There are only two more student days. Really only 1 and a half but who's really counting. Then I have one more day to move and clean and I'm done for the school year. I'm so excited.

I am trying to get my room ready to move. This is nothing new for me. I am going into my seventh year teaching and I will be moving into my seventh classroom. I actually hate moving with a passion but I have gotten really good at it. At least where my classroom is involved. I have my classroom library packed, which is the bulk of what I have. I now have to pack my desk, closet and personal library. The rest is already in containers, ready to move.

I talked to the principal today about which room I will be moving into. There is a small building with four classrooms. Each one is a first grade classroom. Three of the four teachers are staying. The fourth is moving to second grade. I was really hoping that I would be moving into that room.

Next year we will go from four first grades to five. Four of the classes will be housed together in the little building. The fifth will be moved to a different building. I'm the fifth one. I'll be with other classes, just not at my grade level.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I did this at my last school and got along really well with the teacher next door. (I'm looking at you Michelle!!!) I talked to her about curriculum and tried to model my first grade curriculum closer to the second grades. I think it helped the kids. I hope to do that next year as well. But it is also a pain because I will not be able to just go next door and ask a quick question to one of my teammates. That really sucks.

I really wanted to be in the little building. It's closer to the other first grade teachers. One of them is a friend. The classrooms themselves are larger in the little building. I'll be in a new classroom. Probably never been used or only used for a year.

Oh well. It will soon be over either way.

7 comments:

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

fucking figures. That is a large first grade. I guess we knew that our boys were born at a popular time.

-tracie. said...

I didn't know you got a new job. I read about the interviews. Congrats! Miss you!

burnurcomputer said...

I get to see you soon !!!!!! The Archer is VERY excited to come see you, I think that she is going to pee her pants in anticipation- okay shes just doing a happy dance! I'm glad that you are getting a new grade. How many years can you fail first grade??? Ha-ha! Are we going to go to Hersheypark when you and madame butterfly come to visit? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to ride rides with my 3 nephews and little girl! Harsheypark happy, Hersheypark glad! So many things to see and do- good times to be had!

burnurcomputer said...

Hi tracie!!!!

Anonymous said...

Not a new job just a new grade level. It's still at the same school but at least better suited to what I like.

I'm excited for the archer to come as well. I'll be cleaning the bathroom for her tonight! I'll change the sheets on Friday.

Hersheypark is a go but I don't know if I can go on any rollarcoasters after getting sick this last time. We shall see.

Heather Van Uxem-Lewis said...

Woo-hoo! I forgot about Hersheypark!!!! This is going to be even better than I though!!!

-tracie. said...

Now I'll be singing the Hershey Park song all day! =)