Reason #63
I was informed today that I am over my limit of allowed photocopies for the year. If I would like to make another copy, I will need to by at least one box of paper.
I tried to not get upset about this. I went to the secretaries desk to talk about it. I was informed that it was correct. I was then told that we start out the year based on how many copies are left over from last year. Since I'm new, it's based on how many copies were left over from the teacher that I am replaced.
I'm still not trying to get upset at this point. I think that it's totally stupid that I'm limited by the number of copies that were left to me because of the paper purchasing habits of last years teacher but I'm trying. I had never been told that we needed to purchase our own copies in the first place.
I then ask how many copies I have made so far this year. I'm figuring that since I'm being forces to purchase paper, I should be sure that I buy enough paper to cover my photocopying habit for the rest of the year. This seems like a reasonable thing for me to ask because they seem to know how many I am over. They should know how many I have made.
It took the secretary almost five minutes to figure it all out. Hmmm.... I'm thinking that she should be able to do this faster but OK.
She tells me the number and I decide that I'm going to need three boxes of paper to help me last the year. I tell the secretary this but then she informs me that it is not her job to order paper. It's my job.
I was shocked about this. I thought that would be the job of a secretary and not a teacher.
I'm not trying to pull rank here. The secretary does a very important job. There are many things at the school that would not work if it was not for her. I'm not trying to say that I'm better because I'm a teacher and she is a sectary. I'm just saying that ordering paper for the copying machine that everyone in the school will use, sure seems like the secretaries job and not the teachers.
I'm not going to do it. I am flat out refusing to do it at all.
I was informed that I have $200 for office supplies. I am supposed to buy everything that my classroom will need from there. Paper, pencils, paper clips, everything of that nature. I'm not doing it.
I know that she is not going to budge on this one.
I went to one of my teaching partners and made her a deal. If she put an order for me for four boxes of paper and pencils, she could use $50 of the money for her own classroom. She is going to order me $120 of paper and $30 of pencils.
She was laughing about this. She didn't want to spend the money but I threatened to go to another teacher with the same deal. She decided that she would reconsider.
My teaching partner also asked me if I ever made two-sided copies. I do all of the time. I almost never make a copy with something on only one side. My teaching partner also informed me that I need to let the secretary know when I make a two-sided copy. That it's my responsibility to let the secretary know that I'm making two-sided copies instead of regular. It's hard for me to keep track of the things that I'm supposed to tell the secretary.
I know that it's not something that I should be so upset about. I know but that didn't stop me. I actually cried about it. Of all the things that they pick at, why does this have to be one of them?
It was upsetting but I think that one of the reasons that it was so upsetting was because I had just had a really great day with my students.
4 comments:
Here you have experienced one of the reasons I left the profession as you should and will do as well. It is widely known among all public school employees that you must be a complete bitch in order to be the office secretary. In fact, the best ones (by whose judgement I don't know) are the 4 letter c words!!! Now, the reality is, you went from the fying pan to the fryer. Your situation there is pathetic and laughable. Make a large calendar noting a fabulous countdown to your last day in this hell. Focus on what you want and by what day and it will come to you. When you close your eyes, be there. It will come to you. You do not have to live this way. You are too special of a person to get caught up in this daily shrapnal-ic bullshit. Yes, I made up my own word. Upping ones dosage does have benefits. :)
I love you and you do not have to put up with this crap. You would tell me the same thing. WAIT! You did tell me the same thing!
What she said. And tell the secretary to f@#% herself. If she isn't going to do anything but point out what you need to do that she is not responsible for laugh in her face when your finger has a spasm.
Love,
Mom
Oh, by the way. Happy Love Thursday!
I love our mother. She said it before I could. She not only fell out of the stupid tree, she hit the nasty and unreasonable tree on her way to the ground. I hope you get to tell them to take a flying leap. By the way I'm sending stuffeed animals to the kids for Valentines Day. They ship flat and when you open them they puff up. For #1 its sponge bob, #2 is pooh bear, and for #3 its Dora the explorer! I hopr that threr are okat, if not let me know! Love you Manyella.
Post a Comment