I could so totally be a doctor
The older I get, the less respect I have for some professions. Doctors are definitely one of those professions. I know that they went to school for a really long time but that doesn't make them smarter then me.
I had to go to the doctor today. I have a prescription for a medicine that I take daily. Only problem is that I'm out of meds and out of refills. I don't have insurance until November and there is no way I can go with my meds until then. I went to a local walk-in clinic. I took my last bottle of meds with me to prove that I do indeed have a medical condition that I am being treated for and all this doctor has to do is write a prescription.
It really was quite easy and went like I thought. I said I have this medical condition. I've taken this medicine at this dosage for the past five years and I need more please. The doctor wrote a new prescription since I had paid her $128 for her signature on the little piece of paper.
I should have just been able to be on my way. But no!! She needed to make small talk. I don't like small talk. Mostly because it's small. It doesn't mean anything. I'm not a dinner party and need to make nice. I'm paying you money to treat me for a medical condition. We aren't dating, we're not family and I don't work for you so please let me leave.
But although I think these things, I do not say them. Ten minutes she talked about how she just can't get into Sci-Fi. It's just not for her. Her two sons love it and she just doesn't get it. The point is, I don't care if you don't like Sci-Fi. I just simply don't. I want my meds and I want to leave and go hide in my house from you and most other people that live in this state.
All she did was make me concerned about her intelligent. The more she talked the less intelligent she became. I think part of the reason was because I wasn't interested in the subject and she didn't care enough to figure that out but also, I don't want to know that much about your life personally.
I know that's strange to say, especially here where I blog. I want people to know what I feel so much that I write it down, post it on the internet and check to see how many people read it. (It's the only way I can tell because you guys never post comments!!!) I do care about some people's personal life. Like the people that I know and care about. The same people that I do not have to pay $128 to talk to.
While she was talking I was thinking about the schools that I have taught in and a conversation that my mother and I recently had about them. I've taught at two very different types of schools. One from very low economic background and one with a very high economic backgroup. This is the spectrum of poor and rich in two years. The parents in the "poor" school trust that I am a professional and I am doing my job. I went to college, which many of them did not, and I know what I'm doing. The parents from the "rich" school did not trust that. They went to college. They had higher degrees than I do or they have sibling, friends who are teachers or remember the drunken frat boy that was so stupid and now a high school principal. They aren't impressed by the mere fact that I went to college. They want to know how I'm applying that knowledge not that I acquired it.
I had no actually problems with the doctor today. I also didn't really interact with her in a medical way really. It at least wasn't like the doctor that I had while pregnant with the twins. I had just had an ultrasound. I had just told the doctor that they twins were a girl and a boy. Then in the next second she asks me if they were identical. WHAT!!! Ok, was so not listening or just stupid. I know that some people do not know that boy/girl twins can not be identical (Think about the differences in their diaper.) but come on, you are a doctor. The doctor I'm going to with this pregnancy. I say to her, they can't be identical. They're not the same sex. Then she follows up with an even better one. She says, "No. I know that. I mean did they like identical. Like did they look a lot alike?" Seriously. It's an ultrasound. It's lucky if you can tell the baby parts from the nonbaby parts. Of course they look like. They are human. According to this picture they are identical with all other human children and most primates.
People are so much more intelligent before they open their mouths.
1 comment:
Dear Manyella, If you have to check how many people read this and say we don't post comments, you are not looking. Most of us don't post every time because we don't want to look like a cyber stalker! Ane this line is very encourageing:"People are so much more intellegent before they open their mouths". Dude that is not nice, I so gonna tell Mom.
Post a Comment